Sunday, January 13, 2013

Snow Ride...Take it Easy!


Forgive the Foghat reference above.  I'm quite sure that they were not talking about biking in the snow.  I'd been itching to ride my recently mounted Ritchey knobbies on some snow and yesterday's ministorm gave me a good excuse to get out and burn some calories.  The trick to riding in the snow was avoiding the mashed down, icified (yes, I'm making up words now) auto tire tracks and staying in the fresh powder.  That and steering clear of the drivers who clearly don't know how to drive in snow.  I saw the aftermath of an accident along the Riverside Bike Boulevard where somebody forgot that you need more distance to stop.



The ride proved fun, if a bit cold, but my gear kept me reasonably insulated for an hour and a half ride. The key was remembering not to expect to go my usual pace and be content with a slow crawl.  The light and scenery were beautiful with the snow dusting.  Overall, it reminded me of my years riding in the midwest where you just have to get used to the idea that you're going to be riding in nasty temps and sketchy surfaces for a couple of months out of the year.

No comments: