Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Rivendell AllRounder - Jack of All Trades...Master of Most


I originally bought my Allrounder out of regret for not buying the legendary Bridgestone XO-1 and because of my deep respect for the vision of Grant Petersen as he was in the first few years of his new bicycle company, Rivendell Bicycle Works.  He seemed like one of the few voices of sanity in the bike industry in the mid-90s when design seemed to be about making things as complicated as possible.  Technological advancements can be super cool but sometimes it's just seems like bike wankery and you wonder if it doesn't get in the way of the actual enjoyment of riding.

Over the years my Allrounder has lived up to its name and here is a battery of photos from the various types of riding I've done on the bike and different configurations (tires, bars, etc.) along the way.  I've had tires as skinny as 1.25 inch slicks all the way up to 2.3 inches knobbies.  Bars have been rando, moustache, and noodle bars.  Fully loaded touring, quick(ish) road rides, commutes, offroad adventure riding, and trips to the coffee house...it's done it all.



Skinny tires on the trail

My first build

Bike Tour Across Nevada

Pre NV Trip

Some serious speed...fully loaded down a mountain near Ely, Nevada

Monster Cross

Oregon Cascades Tour with Front and Back Load

The Commute


More Stability with the Front Load Before the Oregon Tour

The Commute in the Winter Snow

6 comments:

letton said...

Nice photos Addison! Sure is a versatile bike. I've had similarly varied setups of my A/R and rode it to work this very morning. Thanks again Grant! cheers, Andrew

cyclofiend said...

Stellar designs are as adaptable as they are elegant. Thanks for posting these, Addison!

Reno Rambler said...

Thank! Great bike and it occurs to me it is the bike I have now owned the longest (14 years). Others have come and gone but I can't really imagine parting with it.

Ani said...

Such a sweet, sweet ride. I've been tempted by Rivendells for quite a while, but with tiny amount of riding I get to do, I just can't justify it. Yet.

virag said...

the all-rounder and the atlantis were, are, and continue to be tip-top bikes and design pinnacles. this is where rivendell was at their absolute best.

i'm still somewhat confused about riv giving up on the saluki so quickly, but i guess the atlantis was too good and got there first.

my long-standing longing has been for a riv rb-1, but if that didn't happen in 1994 or 1995, it sure ain't gonna happen!

Reno Rambler said...

virag...thanks for the comment. There are occasionally some RB-1s out there in ebay land that are in good shape. For that matter, an RB-2 with the right component spec is a very good substitute.

As I recall, the Saluki became another 650b model name for Riv and I'm drawing a blank which it is at the moment but they are definitely a good option.